We're Hiring - Planner and Scheduler
We seek a talented Planner and Scheduler to join our Project Management Office (PMO) to plan a portfolio of 40-50 concurrent vehicle restoration projects for cars, trucks and motorcycles that are typically between 30 and 120 years old. The role also involves supporting our project managers and workshop supervisors by managing the lifecycles of Work-Packages and Work-Orders from initiation to closure.
Develop and implement company project management systems in Microsoft Project Web App and Microsoft Project and mentor company staff in their use. Manage the lifecycles of Work-Packages and Work-Orders from initiation to closure. Control, monitor and report critical KPIs.
About the Business
Finch Restorations is Australia's oldest car restoration business and is still growing. We have four workshop sites in Mount Barker where we carry out restorations. In Woodside we have a fifth site where we undertake automotive repairs and servicing. Mount Barker and Woodside are both in the Adelaide Hills just 20 minutes up the South-Eastern Freeway from the Old Tollgate.
Finch Restorations is a vertically integrated business at the pinnacle of what is fundamentally a cottage industry. In this industry, many old-school skills are disappearing, and parts suppliers span from OEMs to hobbyists and deceased estates. We specialise in ground-up restorations where fully dismantled vehicles can involve 2,000 to 4,000 components per vehicle needing assessment, potential refurbishment, storage, and control. Multiply those statistics by 40-50 vehicle projects, each taking nominally three months to three years, and a high level of diligence and strong methodologies are required in a data driven environment.
We use an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system which we have been progressively customising for vehicle restorations over the last six or so years.
Being vertically integrated, our highly experienced and mature technician workforce encompasses diverse trades and skills: coachbuilding, panel-beating, timberwork, spray-painting, mechanics, engine-building, auto-electrical, blacksmithing, whitesmithing, motor-trimming, veneering, lacquering, and fabrication. Our technicians are supported by our dedicated Project Management Office that performs planning and monitoring, manages client and stakeholder communications, and commercial functions.
Due to the unique nature of our business at the pinnacle of a cottage industry, we are continually learning, growing and improving. Enthusiastic, well-organised, and diverse-skilled staff with a 'can do' attitude are very important to us.
Why work for Finch?
- Opportunities: With over two dozen personnel, we can offer great opportunities for people with the right experience, skills, and attitude to make their marks in the professional restoration and remanufacturing of classic and historical vehicles.
- Multi-skilled team: Our team is multi-skilled and has a passion for preserving and restoring classic and historic vehicles and knowledge sharing allows you to grow your own skill set.
- Crafts-based environment: We work on a broad range of vehicles in a diverse, skilled, crafts-based environment.
- Work-life balance: we offer a good work-life balance and flexible work arrangements.
Planner and Scheduler Role
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Manage the lifecycles of Work-Packages and Work-Orders from initiation to closure.
- Control, monitor and report critical KPIs.
- Develop and report on project velocities and burn-up charts.
- Manage and integrate project timelines into a high-level portfolio plan.
- Mentor project managers to ensure that project plans are captured and maintained, or support project managers by doing such activities for them.
- Incorporate project product backlogs into the central portfolio product backlog.
- With the workshop supervisors, allocate workorders to technicians for fortnightly sprints (team planning).
- Coordinate sprints, retrospective meetings, and daily stand-ups.
- Produce timely work-orders, in concert with workshop supervisors for each project.
- For review at regular stand-up meetings maintain reasonably up to date statuses of Work-Packages, Work-Orders, Reports & Invoices.
- Monitor the progress and status of Technical Queries for review at least once per fortnight.
- At least weekly, download photographs from staff cameras and upload them to cloud libraries.
- Maintain a healthy relationship with team members and communicate plans and statuses.
- Set up SharePoint cloud repositories and Project Books, and other project initiation activities for new projects.
Your skills and experience will include:
- Experience as a Planner and Scheduler in the manufacturing, engineering, or automotive sectors.
- Experience with Microsoft Project.
- Experience in and PWA cloud environment is desirable.
- Experience in SharePoint would be an advantage, but not essential.
- Experience in developing and implementing planning systems.
- Enthusiastic and organised with a positive outlook, 'can do' attitude and ability to work effectively as a confident team member.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Tech savvy.
- Have patience and a good sense of humour.
- Takes pride in their work.
- Good time management skills.
- Aptitude for recognising change needs and implementing change.
Please submit your Resume via email to
Applications close Monday, 29 May 2023 (unless filled prior).